PM orders UNP to concentrate on winning Elpitiya PS poll before thinking of presidential election
Prime Minister and UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe has instructed top leaders of his party and the United National Front to get ready for the Elpitiya Pradeshiya Sabha election and focus on winning it by giving priority to it over yet to be declared presidential election.
The PM gave those instructions soon after his return from two-day visit to the Maldives.
The Prime Minister, while he was in the Maldives, contacted Minister of Internal and Home Affairs, Provincial Councils and Local Government Vajira Abeywardena and discussed with him the measures to be taken in view of the forthcoming PS election.
The Premier after his return from the Maldives spoke to Minister of Lands and Parliamentary Reforms, Gayantha Karunathilaka, who is also the party organizer for Bentara- Elpitiya electorate.
Prime Minister Wickremesinghe also had discussions with party chairman Minister Kabir Hashim and party General Secretary Akila Viraj Kariyawasam the scheduled Elpitiya PS election.
(Source: The Island – By Saman Indrajith)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023