Police fire tear gas to disperse IUBF protest in Homagama
The police fired tear gas and used water cannons to disperse protesters during a protest at Pitipana Junction in Homagama today (February 22).
The Inter University Bhikkhus’ Federation (IUBF) had organised a protest and Satyagraha today demanding Homagama Buddhist and Pali University be opened to all students.
It was also reported that a tense situation culminated between the police and the protesters while trying to put up a temporary canopy to commence a Satyagraha at the Pitipana Junction this afternoon.
The police fired tear gas and used water cannons to disperse the protesters after they tried to begin a satyagraha.
Footage of the incident captured on camera also shows a high-ranking falling on the ground during the clash with protesters.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023