President decides to ban import of palm oil with immediate effect
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has ordered the importation of Palm Oil into Sri Lanka to be banned with immediate effect.
Secretary to the President Dr. P. B. Jayasundara informed the Department of Imports and Exports Control to issue the respective gazette. Also, the stock of already imported palm oil will not be released to the market.
Concurrently, the cultivation of oil palm (Katu Pol) will be completely banned and the government is planning for the total eradication of palm oil consumption in Sri Lanka, President’s Media Division stated.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Nightlife will play a vital role in Sri Lanka’s economic growth and tourist experience February 23, 2024
- Moon landing today: US clinches first touchdown in 50 years February 23, 2024
- Johnston Fernando requests immediate probe into Sanath Nishantha’s death February 22, 2024
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024