President Maithripala to visit India first
President Maithripala Sirisena will travel to New Delhi next month on his first State visit abroad.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi invited Mr. Sirisena when he called to congratulate the latter on his election victory on Friday, a political aide of the newly elected President said. Sri Lanka also plans to release “soon” 15 Indian fishermen in its custody, said Rajitha Senaratne, who is tipped to be an important member of the Sirisena Cabinet.
Sri Lanka’s relations with India are set to improve because the new government recognised the importance of having India on its side, Mr. Senaratne said at a press conference here Saturday.
He also drew parallels between the modest backgrounds of Mr. Sirisena and Mr. Modi to emphasise the point that the new government was giving top priority to its relations with India. “Mr. Modi invited our President to come to India first. Mr. Sirisena told him it would be difficult this month, and that he will go next month,” Mr. Senaratne said.
While Sri Lanka would free 15 Indian fishermen, the new government would need to take a policy decision on returning trawlers, he said.
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
I don’t think you should be so hurry to visit India.
Please focus on local stuff, please appoint a good team (strong voices)for foreign service and local institutions.
Return the trawlers to continue to do bottom trawling and deplete our fish stocks for good as done Indian waters?
Ok, basnayaka…. He’ll not visit india as you think, don’t worry about that for now. Btw, could you please say now what are the misunderstandings of sinhala people now change about tamil socity? This question is like your tell tail coming behind you untill you answer….
You have no a brain. So what can I do for that.
people separate from a country as a different one, not only from land but mainly from ethnicity. You read the literature if you are qualified to do so.
That is what Anura Kumara Dissanayaka said several times. But a uneducated person like you man keep asking the question.