Price of an egg to hit Rs.70 in Sri Lanka
Broiler chicken and egg prices in Sri Lanka will rise further due to the shortage of dollars and the current economic crisis, manufacturers say.
Speaking at a press conference held in Colombo yesterday (August 12), All Island Poultry Association President Ajith Gunasekara said since they cannot meet the current demand, the price of an egg will rise to Rs.70 and a kilogram of chicken can go up around Rs.1,600 to Rs.1,700.
Ajith Gunasekara said that the manufacturers are facing difficulties due to the shortage of dollars and the current economic crisis.
He said about $40 million per month is needed to import animal feed.
Gunasekara said that if they get locally produced corn stocks, the cost of production will be significantly reduced.
Ajith Gunasekara said that there is a huge demand for chicken and eggs and if measures are not taken to meet the demand, the prices will increase.
- Sri Lanka signs agreement with RM Parks Inc to ensure uninterrupted fuel supply June 8, 2023
- Police secures court order to block NPP protest planned for today June 8, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka to face rape trial in Australia June 8, 2023
- Digital Promotion Agency to be established for introducing new App to collect data of public sector – President June 8, 2023
- SriLankan CEO believes ‘worst is over’, expects $50 Million profit next year June 7, 2023