Prisons have turned into vice dens – AG
Prisons have transformed into places promoting corruption and protecting offenders, said Attorney General, Dappula de Livera.
He said that prison officials have created an environment in which offences have become normalised, adding that most organised crime and major offences are initiated within the prison premises.
The number of crimes and offences keeps rapidly increasing because the prison system is weak, he noted, adding that the conduct of prison officials poses a risk to public security.
The Attorney General further noted that the public will lose faith in the prison system that is supposed to uphold law and order but has instead been transformed into a place where prison officials are involved in bribery and corruption.
Prisoners are being supported by prison officials in charge and materials that are not permitted into the prison premises have been freely brought in, he explained, adding that justice cannot be upheld if such practices continue.
He made these statements on 19 June at the inmates training centre at the Welikada Prison.
(Source: Ceylon Today – By Faadhila Thassim)
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
Just like the Parliament.
Prison is only a one part (institution ) in the country.
Why you all beat only to prison; all the institutions and legal system are corrupted.
It is happening when the social values are eroded in the society.
Please include your Department in the list.
Elsewhere in Onlanka, a Criminal is claiming mass killings of 3000-4000 Soldiers per day!
What has you Dept done about that massacre?