Seven dead, many injured as bus crashed into van and three-wheeler in Nanu Oya
Seven persons have died after a bus collided with a van and three-wheeler in the Nanu Oya area in Nuwara Eliya.
The accident occurred when the bus reportedly lost control and crashed into a three wheeler and then a van resulting in the bus falling down a precipice.
The deceased were those travelling in the van and three-wheeler that collided with the bus.
According to reports, the bus was carrying over 50 people which included 41 school students from Thurstan College in Colombo who had been on an educational tour and they had been admitted to hospital and were not critically injured.
The bodies are presently in the Nuwara Eliya Hospital while rescue operations are still ongoing.
UPDATE – 11:50 PM: An eight and 12 year-old girl, 13 year-old boy, three males aged 26 and 27 and a 43-year-old woman, residents of Nanu Oya and Hatton have died in the incident.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023