Shirani: ‘I’m still CJ, will remain politically neutral’
Impeached Chief Justice Dr. Shirani Bandaranayake yesterday said that she would not support any candidate vying for the presidency.
Addressing the media outside the Colombo Chief Magistrate’s Court after appearing in a case filed against her by the Bribery Commission, Dr. Bandaranayake said she would not enter politics because she still considered herself the country’s Chief Justice.
She said that she did not believe it was appropriate for a public servant to publicly campaign for any particular candidate. “I am not a politician. I will not enter politics.”
Dr. Bandaranayake said that she was innocent. She had been barred from traveling overseas and was not paid her salary. Today there is a lot of talk about showing gratitude but this is the way in which those who are in power have chosen to show gratitude to me for my 32 years of honest service,” Dr. Bandaranayake said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s Public Security Minister affirms continuation of operations despite pressure February 21, 2024
- Rear Admiral Pradeep Rathnayake appointed as Chief of Staff of Sri Lanka Navy February 21, 2024
- Ceylon Electricity Board to reduce electricity tariffs by nearly 20 percent February 21, 2024