SJB files petition against 20A
The main Opposition Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) filed a special petition in the Supreme Court today against the draft of the 20th Amendment to the Constitution brought in by the Government.
In its petition, the SJB said the draft of the 20A was illegal and that it should be approved at a referendum and with a two-thirds majority in Parliament.
SJB Secretary MP Ranjith Madduma Bandara has named the Attorney General as the respondent in the petition.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Thilini De Silva)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Moon landing today: US clinches first touchdown in 50 years February 23, 2024
- Johnston Fernando requests immediate probe into Sanath Nishantha’s death February 22, 2024
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s Public Security Minister affirms continuation of operations despite pressure February 21, 2024