SLMC to defeat no-confidence motion against PM
Sri Lanka Muslim Congress (SLMC) Leader Minister Rauff Hakeem said today his party decided to vote against the no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe.
Mr. Hakeem told media that the SLMC took the decision after lengthy deliberations. He said though the motion had been aimed at the Prime Minister, the end result would be the defeat of the entire government. “We don’t want to defeat the government which we installed,” he said.
“We intend to brief the Prime Minister regarding certain questions that were raised during the council’s meeting,” he told reporters in Colombo.
The Tamil National Alliance (TNA) led by Opposition Leader R. Sampanthan, who called on the President earlier today, has stated that it would decide on the no-confidence motion by tonight.
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023