SLMC to defeat no-confidence motion against PM
Sri Lanka Muslim Congress (SLMC) Leader Minister Rauff Hakeem said today his party decided to vote against the no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe.
Mr. Hakeem told media that the SLMC took the decision after lengthy deliberations. He said though the motion had been aimed at the Prime Minister, the end result would be the defeat of the entire government. “We don’t want to defeat the government which we installed,” he said.
“We intend to brief the Prime Minister regarding certain questions that were raised during the council’s meeting,” he told reporters in Colombo.
The Tamil National Alliance (TNA) led by Opposition Leader R. Sampanthan, who called on the President earlier today, has stated that it would decide on the no-confidence motion by tonight.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023