Special Police Unit to probe Peliyagoda assault
Court has issued directives to the Inspector General of Police to hand over investigations into the assault of a youth at the Peliyagoda Police Station recently to a special Police unit.
The order was issued by Colombo Additional Magistrate Bandara Nelumdeniya this morning.
Police informed Court that investigations are being carried out into details pertaining to the youth obstructing Police duties.
Accordingly, Court ordered the investigation to be removed from the Peliyagoda Station and vested with a special Police unit.
The case will be taken up for hearing once again on the 15th of March.
A Chief Inspector of Police and three Police Constables attached to the Peliyagoda Police Station were interdicted over assaulting the youth last Thursday within the Police Station.
The youth was identified as a son of Former Governor of the Central Province Attorney Maithri Gunaratne.
He was assaulted when he visited the Police Station to meet an individual being held by Police over financial fraud, when an incident broke out.
(Source: News Radio)
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
The Special Police Unit is also a mate of the policemen who are alleged to have assaulted this person.
Expect anything from this Special Police Unit?