Sri Lanka Postal Service declared as essential service
Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe has issued an Extraordinary Gazette notification this evening (November 08) declaring the postal service as an essential public service.
The Gazette has been issued by virtue of the powers vested in the President in terms of Section 2 of the Essential Public Services Act, No. 61 of 1979.
The announcement came as postal workers across the country went on strike against the decision taken to convert the Nuwara Eliya, and Kandy post office buildings into hotels.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023