Sri Lankan Protesters tear-gassed during mass demonstration in Colombo demanding President resign
Sri Lanka police have used tear gas and water cannons to disperse the protesters urging President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and the incumbent government to step down at Chatham Street and nearby areas in Colombo today (July 09).
Large crowds gathered overnight for today’s protest campaign.
Police yesterday (July 08) tear-gassed students of the Inter University Students Federation (IUSF) who converged on Colombo after commencing a protest march from the University of Kelaniya.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Results of 2022 (2023) G.C.E. O/L exam released December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from November 30, 2023 November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka inflation rises for second month on high energy costs November 30, 2023
- ‘Palestine will win’: Sri Lanka businesses raise funds for war-ravaged Gaza November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka President leaves for Dubai to attend the COP28 November 30, 2023