Suspect shot dead during drug raid in Neluwa
A 30-year-old person was killed when a firearm of a police officer was discharged during a drug raid in Neluwa, Police Spokesman SSP Nihal Thalduwa said.
He said a group of Neluwa police officers raided a house in Medagama, Neluwa, following a tip-off that a group of people were engaged in drug trafficking in an abandoned house.
During the raid, a suspect who had tried to grab the firearm of a police officer had been shot when the weapon had fired, police said.
SSP Thalduwa said the injured suspect, who is a resident of Morawaka, had died after admission to the Neluwa Hospital.
Three other suspects who were at the scene have fled and Neluwa Police are conducting investigations to arrest them.
The Senior DIG of the Southern Province has directed a Superintendent of Police to conduct further investigation into the incident.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023