Sybil Wettasinghe passes away
Veteran author and illustrator of children’s books Sybil Wettasinghe, fondly known as ‘Sybil Nanda’ in Sri Lanka, has passed away at the age of 93.
She had been receiving treatment at Sri Jayewardenepura Hospital following an illness.
Kala Keerthi Sybil Wettasinghe, the doyen of children’s literature in Sri Lanka, has been writing and illustrating stories for over 70 years.
Mrs. Wettasinghe had written acclaimed children’s books such as ‘Kuda Hora’, ‘Meti Gedara Lamai’, Uda Giya Baba’, ‘Kusumalatha’, ‘Duwana Revula’, ‘Sooththara Puncha’ and ‘Mallitai Matai’ that have been translated into several languages.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023