Thisara Perera punished for poor performance, says report
Sri Lankan all-rounder Thisara Perera has been prevented from playing in the ongoing Big Bash League (BBL) in Australia by the island’s cricket board, a Sri Lankan newspaper reported on Thursday.
Perera, according to the report, was not permitted to play in the BBL because he had failed “to perform up to expectations against Pakistan.”
He has instead been instructed to remain in Sri Lanka for the upcoming series against England A.
Sri Lankan newspaper the Daily Mirror reported that Sanath Jayasuriya, who is now the chief selector, had “objected” to providing Perera clearance.
“At a meeting Perera had with SLC officials, Jayasuriya had reportedly warned Perera severely to work on his bowling,” the report added.
“Jayasuriya had felt that taking instructions from national bowling coach Chaminda Vaas and then taking different instruction from the other SLC coaches has left Perera confused and at the mercy of international batsmen.”
Perera was not available for comment at the time of writing.
In a statement, SLC said that Perera will now “spend maximum time with the local coaching staff and attend training alongside the Sri Lankan A team.”
The 24-year-old represented Brisbane Heat in last season’s BBL, which is Australia premier domestic T20 tournament.
Perera also plays for the Indian Premier League team Sunrisers Hyderabad, but SLC are unlikely to prevent him from taking part in the IPL, as the board gains substantially from players’ IPL earnings.
Perera’s IPL team paid US$ 675,000 for him in the 2013 auction.
Ajantha Mendis, Lasith Malinga, Tillakaratne Dilshan and Muttiah Muralitharan are the other Sri Lankan players who have been signed by BBL teams.
(Source: Island Cricket)
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
Tissara is a big guy. He should be big & tall in while playing for Sri Lanka. He should be playing for his full potential. Auz Big-Bash should be forgotten at this juncture.