Three prison officials interdicted for illegally releasing an inmate
Three persons including two prison guards have been suspended for illegally releasing an inmate at Welikada Prison.
The inmate was detained at the Welikada Prison on charges of forging documents and was released on the 25th December 2020 with the assistance of prison officials.
Accordingly, the CID has commenced an investigation into the incident and has also conducted an investigation at the Prisons Department level.
According to prison media spokesman Chandana Ekanayake, investigations have revealed that two jailers and a prison regulator had assisted the inmate to escape from the prison.
Accordingly, steps have been taken to suspend the prison officers in question and subject to a disciplinary inquiry, the prison spokesman said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Sanath Nishantha to pay electric bills of SLPP low-income families October 4, 2023
- Chairman of CEYPETCO and CPSTL Uvais Mohamed resigns October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023
- World Bank boosts Sri Lanka economic forecasts after inflation progress October 3, 2023