UN ‘deeply concerned’ over Rambukkana shooting
The United Nations Resident coordinator for Sri Lanka, Hanaa-Singer Hamdy states that she was deeply concerned by reports of harm to protestors in Rambukkana.
Moreover, she emphasized that violence by any party involved hinders the right to all peaceful protestors, while restricting the use of force to the minimum extent necessary is vital to protect the citizens and their right to exercise fundamental freedoms.
Deeply concerned by reports of harm to protestors in #Rambukkana. Violence by any party involved hinders the rights of all peaceful protestors. Restricting use of force to the minimum extent necessary is vital to protect citizens and their right to exercise fundamental freedoms.
— Hanaa Singer-Hamdy (@SingerHanaa) April 19, 2022
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Defence Ministry refutes reports of ‘lavish spending’ for entertaining military heads December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka moving towards social revolution – Anura December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs US $ 1.4 trillion additional investment to realise SDGs by 2030: IPS study December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister appoints new National Sports Council December 4, 2023
- ‘We quit our stressful public sector jobs to earn £150 a month in Sri Lanka’ December 4, 2023