UNP dispute will be resolved soon – Party Chairman
United National Party (UNP) Chairman Gamini Jayawickrama Perera said yesterday the crisis within the party would be resolved before the next parliamentary sessions on August 9.
Mr. Perera said the two factions would meet party leader Ranil Wickremesinghe and deputy leader Karu Jayasuriya when they returned from abroad.
Mr. Wickremesinghe was expected to return last night while Mr. Jayasuirya was expected to be back on Thursday.
Mr. Jayawickrama said unity within the party was essential if the UNP was to move forward because divisive strategies would not help at all.
“The most important thing at the moment is unity and not about back anyone for the post of party leader,” he added.
Meanwhile the UNP-led Esath Bikshu Peramuna (United Bikkhu Front) in a statement requested party leader Ranil Wickremesinghe to step down and handover the leadership to deputy leader Karu Jayasuriya. United Bikkhu Front Chairman the Ven. Meethiyagoda Gunaratana Thera blamed Mr. Wickremesinghe for the UNP debacle at the recent local council election.
The Ven. Thera suggested that Mr. Wickremesinghe should remain as a senior advisor to the party and welcomed Mr. Jayasuriya’s positive response to the request made by party reformists-led by co- deputy leader Sajith Premadasa.
“UNP would die a natural death if the crisis is not resolved once and for all,” the Thera also warned.
Courtesy: Daily Mirror
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023
- Results of 2022 (2023) G.C.E. O/L exam released December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from November 30, 2023 November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka inflation rises for second month on high energy costs November 30, 2023