UNP will go solo at general, presidential elections – Ranil
UNP and Opposition Leader Ranil Wickremesinghe yesterday informed his party men that his party would go it alone if the government held an election, either presidential or general, next year, parliamentary sources said.
Wickremesinghe made the announcement at a UNP group meeting in a committee room in the Parliamentary Complex yesterday.
The National Leader’s position is expected to be conveyed to other parties shortly, according to UNP sources.
No mention was made of the presidential candidate of the UNP. A decision would be taken later, the UNPers were told.
A senior UNP member said that no other MP had made any statement or expressed any opinion with regard to the announcement made by the UNP National Leader.
In addition, Chief Opposition Whip John Amaratunga said that all UNP MPs should remain in the Chamber of Parliament during the debate and vote on the No Confidence Motion against the government charging that Sri Lanka had become a narcotic centre.
The vote on the motion is scheduled to be taken at 5 pm today (21). The motion was submitted on Feb 21, 2014.
(Courtesy: The Island)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Nightlife will play a vital role in Sri Lanka’s economic growth and tourist experience February 23, 2024
- Moon landing today: US clinches first touchdown in 50 years February 23, 2024
- Johnston Fernando requests immediate probe into Sanath Nishantha’s death February 22, 2024
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024