Five judge bench to peruse petitions filed on Port City Commission Bill
A Five Judge bench of Supreme Court was appointed yesterday to consider the petitions filed challenging the Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill.
The five-judge panel include Chief Justice Jayantha Jayasuriya and Justices Buwaneka Aluvihare, Priyantha Jayawardena, Murdu Fernando and Janak De Silva.
Accordingly, the petitions were filed by several parties including UNP Chairman Vajira Abeywardena, its General Secretary Palitha Range Bandara, Chairman of the Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP) Engineer Kapila Renuka Perera, Executive Director of Center for Policy Alternatives (CPA) Dr. Pakiyasothi Saravanmuthu and former Parliamentarian Wasantha Samarasinghe.
The Bar Association of Sri Lanka (BASL) also filed a petition challenging the Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Yoshitha Perera)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- CEB Spokesman Noel Priyantha resigns over controversial remarks February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka settles US$ 20 million Iranian oil debt with tea February 22, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s Public Security Minister affirms continuation of operations despite pressure February 21, 2024
- Rear Admiral Pradeep Rathnayake appointed as Chief of Staff of Sri Lanka Navy February 21, 2024
- Ceylon Electricity Board to reduce electricity tariffs by nearly 20 percent February 21, 2024