Fractures emerge in the Joint Opposition
Recent reports have surfaced indicating a bitter dispute between Kumara Welgama and Mahindananda Aluthgamage. At a meeting yesterday (August 05) of the SLPP’s Kalutara district youth organisation Welgama launched a tirade on Aluthgamage after the latter claimed Welgama is playing the role of a joker. In a retaliatory speech, Welgama accused Aluthgamage of being a coward who lacks a backbone as he claimed Aluthgamage failed to take the stage at a JO rally held in Nugegoda.
Welgama continued “I told him [Mahinda Rajapakse] that if [we] are to go for this presidential election we need you and no one else. I have no use for those who have not done politics. I speak to the face and I am not scared, even if I am killed tomorrow, I will say what needs to be said for the sake of the country. I don’t need any positions; I am 65 plus now and I have been in the Parliament for the past 25 years.”
UPFA MP Namal Rajapakse who addressed the meeting added that no one is scared even if Maithripala Sirisena says that they will be hanged.
Rajapakse went on to say “now the party is being organized through Facebook and social media networks. If they are not stopping drug deals with the threat of capital punishment, it is very clear that this cannot be stopped.”
(Source: News 1st)
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023
- Dasun Shanaka hasn’t lived up to even 1% of expectations in IPL – Virender Sehwag May 26, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 26, 2023