Government committed to safeguarding working masses – PM
Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa yesterday stressed that the government is committed to safeguarding the working population from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic sweeping across the world.
The Prime Minister in a message to mark the International Workers’ Day, which falls today said the COVID-19 pandemic has taught the country that it should have a unique economic policy and a self sufficient economy as a solution to the emerging situation.
He said that the Government which has been following this policy by safeguarding state sector and building up a national economy is greatly encouraged by these ideas taking root in the society.
The COVID-19 pandemic is bringing into question the viability of the open economic system accepted by the world so far . It is also teaching us that Sri Lanka too should change the economic policy followed so far, he said.
(Source: Daily News)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Department of Examinations announced dates of Scholarship Exam, O/L, A/L March 1, 2024
- Central Bank officials summoned to party leaders’ meeting over salary hike March 1, 2024
- Sri Lanka halts free visas for long-staying Russian, Ukrainian nationals March 1, 2024
- UNFPA to assist Sri Lanka in modernizing statistical system for transition to digital economy March 1, 2024
- Sri Lanka to introduce National Cyber Security Act, establish Cyber Security Authority March 1, 2024