Government committed to safeguarding working masses – PM
Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa yesterday stressed that the government is committed to safeguarding the working population from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic sweeping across the world.
The Prime Minister in a message to mark the International Workers’ Day, which falls today said the COVID-19 pandemic has taught the country that it should have a unique economic policy and a self sufficient economy as a solution to the emerging situation.
He said that the Government which has been following this policy by safeguarding state sector and building up a national economy is greatly encouraged by these ideas taking root in the society.
The COVID-19 pandemic is bringing into question the viability of the open economic system accepted by the world so far . It is also teaching us that Sri Lanka too should change the economic policy followed so far, he said.
(Source: Daily News)
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s key inflation rate eases to 25.2% in May June 1, 2023
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023