Lawsuits seeking compensation for Easter Sunday bombing victims: Court rejects Sirisena’s request
Colombo District Court yesterday rejected a request by former President Maithripala Sirisena to release him from several lawsuits filed by the victims of the 2019 Easter Sunday attacks.
The relatives of the victims of Easter Sunday attack have filed 128 lawsuits in the Colombo District Court seeking compensations from Sirisena and several others.
President’s Counsel Faizer Mustapha appearing for the former President said that there as no legal basis for the lawsuits.
President’s Counsel Shamil Perera appearing for the aggrieved party objected stating the request was contrary to the provisions of Civil Procedure Code.
The victims alleged that the defendants, including Sirisena, had failed to perform their duties to prevent the terrorist attacks.
(Source: The Island)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Defence Ministry refutes reports of ‘lavish spending’ for entertaining military heads December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka moving towards social revolution – Anura December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs US $ 1.4 trillion additional investment to realise SDGs by 2030: IPS study December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister appoints new National Sports Council December 4, 2023
- ‘We quit our stressful public sector jobs to earn £150 a month in Sri Lanka’ December 4, 2023