MPs must know their limits – Chamal
Irrigation Minister and Defence, Home Affairs and Disaster Management State Minister and former Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa said that it is very important for Members of Parliament to understand their responsibilities, duties and limitations.
He said Ranjan Ramanayake has been imprisoned for going beyond his limits. He said that in his Parliamentary career of over 35 years, he had never interfered in the affairs of the Judiciary and that such offences should be punished.
He was speaking to the media after a meeting of the Rural Infrastructure Development Committee held at the Kandy District Secretariat yesterday (12). He also said that being a Member of Parliament is not a licence to insult the Judiciary.
He pointed out that on a prior occasion MP S.B. Dissanayake had also been imprisoned for Contempt of Court.
(Source: Daily News – By Asela Kuruluwansa)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023
- Results of 2022 (2023) G.C.E. O/L exam released December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from November 30, 2023 November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka inflation rises for second month on high energy costs November 30, 2023