No clear stand of Centre on Tamil issue at UNHRC: Swamy
– Submitted by Walter Jayawardhana –
NEW DELHI: Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy today accused the Centre of not taking a clear stand at the United Nations Human Rights Council when the US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka was put to vote.
In a statement, he said either India ought to have voted unconditionally with the US or it should have unconditionally opposed the resolution.
“If it had done so, it would have got appreciation in the eyes of the world and it would have been better than falling between two stools,” he said,.
He said the modified draft of the US was “eminently reasonable” and worthy of unconditional support.
“In an oblique way, the US draft is a victory for Sri Lanka since no one has called the human rights violation as state-sponsored,” he said. (Courtesy: Financial Times)
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
Mr Swamy sees the positive side which we all should see as well. The final resolution failed to provide a direction for the IC. But it ceratinly has some pointers.
I am shocked by the statements made by the Us Ambassador in Colombo. She should be promptly deported for attacking the sovereignity of our motherland.
The Obama adminsistration is a lame duck black American led US Government. It is unbale and struggling to meet with local fiscal and social issues. SL should capitalise on this weakness and canvass for support among the US GOP and be firm with petty bureaucrats who know not what they are talking about.