President participates in religious observances in memory of SLFP stalwarts
President Mahinda Rajapaksa participated in special religious observances at the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi and Ruwanweli Seya in Anuradhapura yesterday in memory of Prime Ministers SWRD Bandaranaike and Sirimavo Bandaranaike and other former SLFP stalwarts including Ministers Maithripala Senanayake and K B Ratnayake.
The religious observances were conducted by Atamasthanadhipathi Ven Pallegama Siriniwasa Nayake Thera and Ven Pallegama Hemarathana Nayaka Thera, said a communique issued by the President’s Media Division.
Ven Pallegama Hemarathana Thera delivering an anusasana said Prime Minister SWRD Bandaranaike spearheaded the establishment of the SLFP while Sirimavo Bandaranaike as the world’s first woman Prime Minister, made a great contribution towards carrying forward the party to greater height.
Maithripala Senanayake and K B Ratnayake were great sons of Rajarata who rendered a great service to the SLFP and the country in general, the Thera said.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa had proved his sense of gratitude by participating in religious observances to commemorate those past political leaders, he said. It is a blessing of the country to be governed by a leader in the calibre of President Rajapaksa who had great qualities of humanism and gratitude, the Prelate said. “The greatest tribute we could pay Prime Minister SWRD Bandaranaike is to carry forward the policies enunciated by him. The President is committed towards doing it,” he said.
NCP Governor Karunarathne Divulgane, Chief Minister SM Ranjith and former Minister S M Chandrasena were also present.
Courtesy: Daily News
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023