President Rajapaksa inspects the dis-coloured Sigiriya frescoes.
Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma – (Pix by: Sudath Silva)
President Mahinda Rajapaksa visited the Sigiriya, the Eighth Wonder of the world, to examine the white coloured stains that have occurred on the Sigiriya frescoes. Last week it was revealed that the white coloured stains had occurred after a certain chemical was applied on the frescoes by the Archaeological Department.
After the revelation of the current state of the frescoes, President Mahinda Rajapaksa engaged in an inspection tour in Sigiriya heritage site to see himself the frescoes this morning on 23rd August. He was accompanied by Pavithra Wanniarachchi, Minister of National Heritage and Cultural Affairs, Lalith Weeratunga, Secretary to the President, Wimal Rupasinghe, Secretary to the Cultural Ministry along with several other officials of the Department of Archeology.
The officials were advised by the President to look into the matter seriously which is facing a new threat, a risk of being dis-coloured. He further appealed the assistance of veteran artists and other professionals be sought to preserve the world famous Sigiriya frescoes. The Sigiriya rock of fortress was built during the reign of King Kassapa I in 477- 495 AD.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023