Seven suspects involved in Gampola ATM machine robbery arrested
Sri Lanka Police have arrested 7 suspects who were involved in stealing an ATM machine from a private bank in the Gampola area.
The stolen ATM machine and a pistol that is said to be belongs to Puttalam district Parliamentarian Ali Sabry Raheem have been recovered during the raid.
According to the police, the pistol had been taken from the Parliamentarian Ali Sabry Raheem’s residence when it was set on fire during the countrywide unrest that ensued amidst the ‘Aragalaya’ protest movement.
On January 24, four individuals arrived in a van at around 12:40 AM, had been wearing masks to conceal their identities, tied up the security officer at the bank before proceeding to remove the ATM machine of the private bank located along Kandy Road in Gampola.
The van used by the suspects was found abandoned in Peradeniya with its driver tied inside the vehicle.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023